Wandin North is the first township you will reach when you turn off the Maroondah Highway to Warburton Highway.
The name 'Wandin' is first recorded in the Parish of Wandin Yallock, surveyed 1866-68. The parish survey reserved a site for a township about one km south of the present township, but the coming of the railway in 1901 resulted in the township being built in its present position. Wandin and Yallock are thought to be Aboriginal words for running water or running stream.
The Land Act 1869 provided for farmers to purchase or lease relatively small holdings, which was feasible with Wandin's soil and regular rainfall. The majority of settlers originated from Britain, but a number of Wandin families such as the Sebires, Rougets and Gaudions came from the Channel Islands. Some of the local roads still carry the names of pioneer settlers – Clegg Road, Quayle Road and Burgi Hill Road for example.
Wandin has always been well-known for its horticulture. Early families started with raspberries and later planted apples, peaches, cherries, strawberries and other fruit. A jam factory was opened in the 1870s, others followed in the following decade and pulp was exported interstate and overseas. Many descendants of pioneer families still farm in Wandin today.
A United Free Methodist church opened in 1867. The State primary school, ‘Wandin Yallock’, opened in 1885, superseding the Common school in the church premises (1869-1885). A second school was opened in Wandin North in 1915 and another in Wandin East in 1916. Wandin also had an active horticultural society established in 1891.
The influence of Methodist churches and the Rechabites kept Wandin free of hotels and wine saloons despite the opening of the railway in 1901. Water supply for the Wandin township was provided in 1930 from the O'Shannassy Dam, although the water aqueduct had been built already in 1913 passing through Wandin on its way to Melbourne's eastern suburbs. Electricity was connected in 1952.
The town on the railway line and Maroondah Highway was named Wandin. Wandin North was north of the railway and Wandin Yallock and Wandin East were south-east of the town. Since the mid-2000s the town has become Wandin North, and its perimeter includes Wandin Yallock. Wandin East remains, but there is no ‘Wandin’ in modern street directories.
Although there is housing development and a suburban core around Wandin North, the area still retains its rural character and boasts many successful orchards and market gardens. The shopping precinct at Wandin North offers a mixture of businesses from retail and hospitality to professional services.
Wandin North Reserve is home for the Wandin Football, Netball & Cricket Clubs. Watch this great video outlining the history of the Wandin sporting facilities.
Mont De Lancey is the original home of the Sebire family, and was donated to the Wandin and District Historical and Museum Society in 1992. The house and eight acres form the museum site. There is an old chapel, a replica schoolroom and blacksmith shop as well as tearooms and a museum. The museum complex provides a very interesting display of early life in the area and is a very popular tourist destination.
The Lilydale-Warburton Rail Trail passes through here. The Wandin Station Historic Mural Project at the old Wandin Train Station shows the history of Wandin District through Murals sponsored by members of the community.
At the beautiful 10 acre Warratina Lavender Farm you can learn about the different varieties and uses of lavender, the plants’ life cycle, and how and when we harvest and dry the flowers
‘Wandin', Victorian Places, 2014, accessed on 24/10/2021
A. Lord and N. Lord, Wandin: its origins and early development, 1987
Lily M. Sebire, Early history of Wandin, 1912, reprint, Wandin, 1979