Woori Yallock is clustered around the intersection of the Warburton Highway and the Healesville-Koo Wee Rup Road. The township is two kilometres from the Woori Yallock Creek which rises from the south in the Yarra Ranges near Emerald and enters the Yarra River a few kilometres north of the township. The land north of the township comprises river flats with several billabongs whereas southwards it is hilly to undulating.
In the early 1860s the Wooriallock pastoral station (12,950 hectares) was on the creek, and it is thought that the name is derived from Aboriginal words meaning 'running creek' or 'plenty water', a reference either to the creek or the Yarra River flats. Farmers took up selections in the 1870s and a primary school was opened in 1874. A hotel was opened near the Woori Yallock Creek, and a post office in 1886. The Woori Yallock Hotel was a regular Cobb & Co coach stop between Lilydale and Warburton.
The railway line to Warburton passed through the township when it began service in 1901, with stations at Killara and at the township. It ushered in a period of tourist excursions to the district. The railway line also provided an incentive for timber milling at Woori Yallock with saw logs brought by narrow gauge trams from the south-easterly hill country. The township’s football team (1906) was part of the Upper Yarra League, and a recreation reserve was laid out south of the township on private land.
Woori Yallock continued as a small rural township until the 1970s, when residential subdivisions more than doubled the population. Today the town centre hosts a variety of businesses varying from trade and beauty services to op-shops, homewares and cafes. This is where Yarra Valley FM 99.1 Community Radio Station is also located.
The popular Lilydale-Warburton Rail Trail for cyclists, walkers and horse riders - north of the town centre - follows the dismantled former railway line over the river flats.
Get off the Highway at Woori Yallock, grab a coffee or lunch from one of the local eateries and browse through some of the local shops. You will be pleasantly surprised by the variety of offering here! Then head down to the former Railway Station site for lovely mountain views (great spot for some 'selfies') and short walks.
The Woori Mural Project is a permanent public exhibition that can be found at the former Woori Railway Station along the Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail (adjacent to Symes Road). It consists of a freestanding steam engine, followed by photographic panel ‘carriages’ that highlight and celebrate the history and development of the Woori Yallock district.
Woori Community House provides the local community with a range of services, including affordable courses, social groups, community events, venue hire and access to low cost computer, internet and printing services.
The WHYLD Community Group is working to form a connected community for this part of the valley. WHYLD is an acronym for the towns of Woori Yallock, Hoddles Creek, Yellingbo, Launching Place and Don Valley.
‘Woori Yallock’, Victorian Places, 2014, accessed on 24/10/2021
Shirley W. Wiencke, Woori Yallock school and district: a short history, the author, 1974